Pages

Monday 18 May 2015

Cat Cookies


Baking is a bit of a hobby of mine, so the occasional post containing baked goods will probably surface here. My grandma was a patisserie chef when she was younger, but unfortunately I think the gene carrying the ability to create amazing treats ended with my mum and didn't pass down to me. As hard as I try mine always look very amateur, and taste pretty standard. But hey, practice makes perfect right? Maybe one day I'll wake up and suddenly be able to make amazing things happen. Until that day happens though, please don't judge my feeble attempts!

Today I have have some cat cookies that I made to share with you. Until now I hadn't been able to find a cookie recipe that worked well with cookie cutters, but a friend shared a recipe with me that she's been using for years. It's been my most successful attempt to date, so I'll list that recipe below. I believe it's from on of the Women's Weekly cookbooks, so credit goes to them.



Recipe:

  • 60g (2oz) butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon milk
  • 2/3 cup self raising flour
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • Extra milk
  • Decorations
Cream butter, add sugar gradually, beat until light and fluffy. Add well beaten egg, vanilla and milk. Add sifted self raising flour, mix well. Gradually mix in sifted flour until dough is firm enough to handle. Refrigerate at least one hour. Roll out dough to 5mm thickness between two sheets of greaseproof paper, cut with floured cutter. Put on lightly greased oven trays, brush with milk, add decorations. Bake in moderate oven 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool on trays before removing.
*Note* I found it easier to roll the dough out before putting it in the fridge, and cutting it when it came out.

Tools: Cat shaped cookie cutter (bought on ebay for $1 AUD).

Decorations: I've used Dollar Sweets 100's and 1000's, Queen Soft Sugar Pearls (both available from Woolworths), and Wilton Sparkle Gel in white and red (available from Big W). I applied the 100's and 1000's and Soft Sugar Pearls before putting the cookies in the oven, and the Sparkle Gel after they cooled.


Thanks for reading!
xx Anthea





No comments:

Post a Comment